Sunday, July 13, 2008

Places named after people

One of the interesting bits of trivia I learned from William at the Barstow station (ref: my previous post on chasing trains) was that the city of Barstow was named after William Barstow Strong, at that time the President of Santa De Railway. It was one of the many railway towns that came up around that time, and Barstow's main function was to connect to the mining rich Mojave.

Apparently, they wanted to name the town "Strong", but Strong City in Kansas had already done that, and hence they settled on Barstow.

While I know a lot of places named after people (and Wikipedia even has a massive list), I don't know of business figures who got even one city named after them, leave alone 2.

I wonder what modern entrepreneurs and CEOs will get cities named after them (the town of Brin or Page, anyone?). Also, I wonder how many years it'll be before railroads become completely redundant (as humans invent better modes of transport) - and William Barstow Strong will become another Ozymandias.
Save to Del.Icio.us Digg This Submit to Reddit Stumble this

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home